WHAT IS THE 24-HOUR CHALLENGE?
In the spirit of Be Bold — the new campaign for Rice University — Chuck Whitten ’99 and Lori Rudge Whitten ’98 have issued the largest single challenge to Rice alumni and students. When 4,700 Owls make a gift of any size to Rice on April 7, 2022, the Whitten family will donate $250,000 to The Rice Investment for need-based scholarships.
Rice Engineering Alumni (REA)
Rice Engineering Alumni (REA) is the oldest alumni affinity group at Rice and strives to sustain and improve upon the Engineering experience for both students and alumni. Our mission is to support, honor, and connect Rice Engineers before and after graduation.
Please consider donating to help REA reach its goal of fundraising at least $20,000. And if this goal is reached… the REA Board of Directors has committed to matching another $10,000+ on top!
Gifts to REA have a direct impact on Engineering students and alumni (check out our Annual Report). Generous support from individual sponsors is critical to sustaining and enhancing our:
- Summer Engineering Experience (REA-SEE), a summer internship program that places diverse engineering students at relevant, pre-selected companies and provides financial stipends to support them through their internship—therefore reducing barriers that students face in acquiring their first professional experiences. REA-SEE is proud to have placed 2 students at Blade Energy Partners in 2021 and is thrilled to be placing as many as 10 students at 7+ companies this coming summer.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives—including but not limited to the Summer Engineering Experience above—aimed at promoting the success and retention of diverse engineering students at Rice
- Annual awards and grants to outstanding students
- Sponsorship of on-campus engineering clubs and student projects such as OwlSpark, Students for the Exploration of Space’s OwlSat cube satellite, and teams in the OEDK
- Sponsorship of capital projects such as the renovation of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering undergraduate teaching labs, refurbishment of the Mechancial Engineering Department’s Internal Combustion Lab, and installation of a carbon-fiber 3D-printer for the Maker Bar in the OEDK
- Events (e.g., Re-Engineer Your Career, REA Winter Social, REA Spring Picnic) that connect alumni and students together in both social and career-related contexts
Please contact Rushi Bhalani (REA Sponsorship Committee Chair) for questions or more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT IS THE GOAL?
The 24-Hour Challenge is Rice University’s annual day of giving! On April 7, 2022, the Rice community will unite once again for a shared purpose — to put their support behind the extraordinary young Owls who persevere, the teachers who inspire and one brilliant community that seeks to build a better world. Gifts can be directed to a school, residential college, research initiative, student club or any area on campus that means the most to you.